Red Rover, a 625-ton side-wheel river steamer, was built
in 1859 at Cape Girardeau, Missouri. She was purchased by the
Confederate Government in November 1861 and used as an accomodation
ship at New Orleans. In early 1862, she aided the defense efforts
at Columbus, Kentucky, and at Island Number Ten on the Mississippi
River. Damaged by shellfire on 15 March 1862, she was captured
at Island Number Ten on 7 April by USS Mound
City. Later in 1862, she became the hospital ship USS
This page features our only view of CSS Red Rover.
Photo #: NH 59024
"View of Steamers Sunk by the Rebels Between Island Number
Ten and New Madrid"
Line engraving, based on a sketch by Alexander Simplot, published
in "Harper's Weekly", 1862, depicting ships sunk by
the Confederates off their fortifications at Island Number 10,
circa 7 April 1862.
As identified on the engraving, the ships are (from left to right):
Champion, Yazoo, Grampus, John Simonds,
Red Rover, Prince, Admiral, Ohio Belle,
De Soto, Kanawha Valley, Winchester and
Mars. Most of these vessels, some of which were not sunk,
were later employed by the Union forces.