USS Mackinaw, an 1173-ton Sassacus class side-wheel
"double-ender" steam gunboat built at the New York Navy
Yard, was commissioned in April 1864. For much of that year, she
served on the James River, Virginia, taking part in engagements
at Dutch Gap in August. In early December, while on blockade duty,
Mackinaw captured a sailing blockade runner. Later in that
month, and in January 1865, she took part in ultimately successful
assaults on Fort Fisher, North Carolina. In February, the gunboat
operated on the Cape Fear River, N.C.
Decommissioned in May 1865, as the war came to an end, Mackinaw
returned to active service in January 1866. She spent more than
a year with the North Atlantic Squadron and in the West Indies,
but was decommissioned again in May and sold in October of 1867.
This page features our only views related to USS Mackinaw
Photo #: NH 57251
A "Double-Ender" gunboat
In the James River, Virginia, 1864-65. Originally identified
as USS Agawam (1864-1867), this ship differs from her
in detail. It has been identified in published sources as USS
The monitor in the right background is USS Saugus (1864-1891).
Photo #: LC-USZ62-144
"Bombardment of Fort Fisher"
"Jan. 15th 1865"
Lithograph after a drawing by T.F. Laycock, published by Endicott
& Co., New York, 1865, depicting the North Atlantic Blockading
Squadron bombarding Fort Fisher, North Carolina, in preparation
for its capture. The print is dedicated to Commodore S.W. Godon,
Ships present, as named on the original print, are identified
in Photo Number LC-USZ62-144
Collections of the Library of Congress.
Photo #: NH 59170
"Second Attack upon Fort Fisher, showing the positions of
the vessels, and the lines of fire", 13-15 January 1865
Chart by Walter A. Lane, published in "The Soldier in our
Civil War", Volume II.
The positions of 58 ships are represented on the chart.
Online Image: 216KB; 825 x 1225