Today in History:

8 Series I Volume LIII- Serial 111 - Supplements

Page 8 Chapter LXV. S. C., S. GA., MID. & E. FLA., & WEST. N. C.

and might have been held at a liht expense to what it eventually cost. In this report I have not attempted to give anything a coloring which did not belong to it, but as nearly as possible give you a plain statement of facts which came under my notice. Of the scenes of carnage, of the determined valor of the troops, I need not speak, but the fact that they gained the fort amid the darkness of the night and under as withering a fire as any troops were ever exposed, and held it near three hours against fearful odds, speaks a volume for the personal courage of the men which cannot be written.

Very respectufully, your obedient servant,


Major Sixty-seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry.

Brigadier-General SEYMOUR,

Commanding U. S. Forces, Hilton Head.


Report of Lieutenant Colonel Redfield Duryee, Sixth Connecticut Infantry, of second assualt on Battery Wagner, July 18.

Hilton Head, S. C., November 4, 1863.

GENERAL: In reply to your request of October 19, 1863, regarding the part taken by this regiment at the assault on Fort Wagner July 18, 1863, I have the honor to submit the following report:

As I was not present at the assault, being on detached service in Connecticut at that time, I have condensed the following form the reports received from the comanders of companies. This regiment, under command of Colonel John L. Chatfield, was relieved from duty as advance guard in front of the batteries on Morris Island, S. C., on the morning of July 18, 1863, about 10 o'clock, and returned to its camp, where it remained until about 1 p. m. the same day, when it was again ordered under arms, and advanced a short distance in front of Craig Hill Signal Station as a support to the batteries which had opened fire on the enemy about 11 a. m. At 5,30 p. m. the regiment was ordered into line, and advanced toward the eneme's lines, moving along the beach by the right flank until in front of the line of stockades, when the line was formed facing the fort. About 6,30 p. m. the regiment formed in column of companies closed in mass, advanced upon the enemy's work in good order, crossed the moat, and entered the fort at the southeastern angle. It remained in the fort about three hours, when, as it was found impossible to obtain any re-enforcements, orders were given to retreat as quietly as possible. The conduct of both officers and men in the assult was meritorious in the extreme. Too much cannot be said in their praise for the cool courage and bravery they evinced while marching on to the assault through a most murderous fire, and for their determined resistance while in the fort.

Special acts of meritorious conduct were not noticed, except in a few cases, owing to the fact that in conseq2uence of the darkness only those in the immediate vicinity of the officers making the reports coukld be seen by them. Colonel John L. Chatfield, after gallantly leading his men into the fort, received a severe wound, which ultimately caused his death. First Lieutenant John Stottlar, Company D, with thirty sharpshooters of Companies C and D, occupied the advanced rifle-pits from the

Page 8 Chapter LXV. S. C., S. GA., MID. & E. FLA., & WEST. N. C.