Today in History:

34 Series I Volume LIII- Serial 111 - Supplements

Page 34 Chapter LXV. S. C., S. GA., MID. & E. FLA., & WEST. N. C.

hurry. Prisoners and scouts reported the enemy in three columns, about 60,000 strong, moving in our front and on our right and left. At 1,30 p. m. the enemy opened at the bridge with light, long range of artillery, but after throwing a few shells withdrew it. Inemy reported building a raft in the woods below. Captain Warthen, with fifty-three men, Washington militia, some mounted and some on foot, reported for duty. At 5 p. m. enemy reappeared in small numbers (a reconnoitering party at Ball's Ferry), and, after delivering a few shots, retired. Bridge hard pressed all day. Small parties of cavalry marauding on the other side of the Buffalo and occasionally feeling the crossings. At 8.15 p. m. the enemy, under cover of night and of heavy volleys of small-arms, succeeded in forcing a firing party up to the far end of the trestle on their side, almost withot range of our best rifles, and fired it. Colonel Gaines with 500 men joined me at midnight, by direction of General Wheeler, who had crossed in the morning at Blackshear's Ferry and at Dublin.

Friday, 25th, at 1 a. m., General Hardee arrived with a portion of his staff. At daybreak the enemy opened heavily at the ferry on Talbot with two pieces of artillery and small-arms. Trestle-work burning slowly tow ard the bridge, enemy covering its progress. At 9 a. m. General Hardee returned to Numbers 13. Enemy reported moving in large force on Sandersville and Numbers 13. At 11 a. m. Lieutenant Colonel Young, Thritieth Georgia Battalion, sent to the ferry with a portion of Gaines' command to re-enforce Talbot, who was hard pressed, but well covered and confident, the Fourth Kentucky detachment patrolling the roads to our right. During the afternoon, the fire having approached the bridge, the enemy withdrew from our front, moving to our left. In the evening Major Capers, assuring himself that the enemy had entirely left our front, extinguished the flames which had reached the bridge, but only charred a few feet of it. The attempt to destroy the bridge by a direct attack in front had failed. At 9,15 p. m. Colonel Young, commanding at Ball's Ferry, reported that the enemy were preparing to cross above and below him; that his men and ammunition were nearly exhausted, and if held in his position until daylight his command would be sacrificed. On telegraphing this report to General Hardee at Numbers 13, for which point the enemy were also making, I received orders to withdraw all my forces and fall back on Numbers 13.

Saturday, 26th, 1.05 a. m., the forces were withdrawn, birnging off everything, and at 5.30 a. m. reached Numbers 13. Here Huger's artillery was turned over to General Wheeler, who was impeding the enemy's march from Sandersville. At 9 a. m. left for the Ogeechee bridge, Numbers 10, which I had been ordered by General Hardee to occupy. Arrived at 1 p. m. at the Ogeechee.

Sunday, 27th, enemy cut the Waynesborough railroad at Waynesbor-ough in the morning. Ordered to fall back to Millen and fortify. Cavalry left in the front by order of General Hardee to watch the bridges. Arrived at Millen 3.30 p. m., with the infantry and Pruden's battery-in all, 423 strong. Fortified around the railroad depot.

Monday, 28th, at 2 a m. received information from General Wheeler that Kilpatrick, with his command, with between 4,000 and 5,000 men, had left Waynesborough for Millen. My scouts on that gave us no notice of the enemy. At 8.15 a. m. Major Black, inspector-general to General Hardee, arrived from up the road with the same information. As Kilpatrick was, on good authority, reported to have left Waynesborough for Millen, and as my scouts on the direct road between the two places gave me no hint of his approach, I concluded that his march

Page 34 Chapter LXV. S. C., S. GA., MID. & E. FLA., & WEST. N. C.