Today in History:

35 Series I Volume LIII- Serial 111 - Supplements


was to cut me off at Numbers 5, below, and that the safety of my command required me to fall back to or near that point. Major Black concuring, the command was moved back to Numbers 4 1/2, behind the Little Ogeechee bridge, arriving there at 3,30 p. m.

Tuesady, 29th, occupied in preparing defenses. Sent Major Hartridge with his company of the Twenty-seventh Battalion to Savannah, as ordered by General Hardee. Rumors vague as to the movements and force of the enemy above. Command reduced to the Cadets and Milledgeville battalion of infantry, Pruden's battery, and the Washington County militia-in all, 350 men. Emanuel militia, mounted, numbering about thirty men, reported for duty under Captain Clifton.

Wednesday, November 30, sent Major CApers with an engine up the road for information. Communicated with General Wheeler.

Thursday, December 1, moved with the command up the road to Numbers 6 as a corps of observation. Leaving the command there, proceeded on the engine with some of my staff to Numbers 7. Enemy reported in force at Numbers 8, and crossing to west bank of the Oconee. Can learn nothing positively of the force on the right.

Friday, December 2, Captains Bridewell and Darling, quartermaster and commissary, C. S. Provisional Army, who had volunteered their services at Gordon, returned to their station at Milledgeville, the enemy having left that place. Ascertained positively that the enemy, said to be the Seventeenth Corps, are moving down the road, and that another column, reported to be the Fiftenth Corps, are three miles below me on the other side of the Oconee. A courier from General Wheeler reports a heavy cavalry force moving down on my right from Waynesborough. Fell back again to Numbers 4 1/2, arriving there at 4 p. m.

Saturday, December 3, daybreak, joined by the State Line at First Brigade, Georgia Militia, of General Smith's division, from Savannah under direction of Colonel Robert Toombs, inspector-general, First Division. [At] 10,30 a. m. learned that the Fifteenth Corps, on the other side of the Ogeechee, was moving for Numbers 2, as I had supposed. As this march, if not anticipated, would cut my rear, determined, on consultation with Colonel Toombs, to fall back to that point, our only dependence being upon the railroad, having no wagons nor other means of transportation, and no cavalry to cover our movements, three columns of the enemy being also in our front on the railroad and on our right. At 11 a. m. joined by General Baker, C. S. Provisional Army, with his brigade of North Carolinians. Explaining to him the position of the enemy, he agreed with me that Numbers 2 was our post, and the command was accordingly moved down to that station. On arriving at Numbers 2 I was met by Major Black, of General Hardee's staff, with instructions to return to Numbers 4 1/2, adn that further re-enforcements would be sent to me. Obeyed the instructions, through in opposition to my own judgment and of my officers, and reocucupied Numbers 4 1/2 about 7 p. m.

Sunday, December 4, re-enforced early in the morning by Anderson's and Phillips' brigades, Georgia militia, of General Smith's division. Formed line of battle behind the Little Ogeechee, throwing back the right to protect that flank, as the river was fordable above us with open pine barren to the Savannah River, enabling a superior force to evelop us easily. Our force consisted of about 4,000 men and three pieces of Pruden's battery; no cavalry. Assigning General Baker as executive officer in command of the line and Major Capers as chief of the staff, waited for events.

At 1.35 p. m. the advance of the Seventeenth Corps appeared on our left in front of the Cadets, one of whom (Coleman, a vedette) brought